Ok y'all, this is possibly the best thing I've come up with to-date. The burgers are moist and flavorful and the avocado-yogurt sauce brightens it up and adds a creaminess without being too heavy. This is going to be a go-to dinner for me from now on and I hope it will be for you too! It's not just something you make for the vegetarian in your life. You'll be fighting them to get your hands on one.
Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
3 cups cooked black beans, mashed
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup corn meal, plus more for dusting
1 chipotle in adobo, minced (comes in a can, freeze the rest)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 head green leaf lettuce
1. Combine all ingredients except oil and lettuce in a large bowl and mix until well combined (I use my hands).
2. Divide into 4 equal portions and form into patties, about an inch thick.
3. Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Dust top side of burgers with cornmeal and put in the pan, cornmeal side down. Cook for about 2 minutes, dust exposed side with cornmeal, flip, and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Serve on lettuce leaves with Avocado-Yogurt sauce (recipe below).
makes approximately 1 cup
1 avocado, pureed
1/4 cup plain, organic yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve.
You can also serve the burgers on whole wheat buns, but I find that, because the burgers are bean based, it ends up being too starchy. Plus, using the lettuce adds a nice crunch. Also, the avocado yogurt sauce would be great on pretty much anything. I dipped my fries in it with delicious results.